Pages

Monday 25 June 2012

One last idea

For my final digital print I wanted to make a statement bag with my print all over. I found this picture of a large bag on the website WGSN, and wanted to make something similar.
My first idea was to make a bottom separately that had a strip around it connecting to the fabric of the bag. I made all my measurements, created a pattern and tried it out in calico. It didn't work! I tried a few times but had trouble with the size, connecting the two handles, connecting the base to the top...
Basically I didn't have time to keep trying with a pattern that I couldn't get to work. So I decided to create a completely new pattern which would give me a similarly looking bag. This one worked! My digital fabric was blue so I chose the beige leather coat I had found and used that as a base as I thought the two colours would look good together.
The lining of the coat was a really nice silky gold which I thought would match the base and contrast with the outer. It also make the bag look a bit more luxurious. Finally I finished it with a pocket on the inside and a business label.
I really like this bag and I would like to make it out of other materials in different colours. I also think it would be easy to re-size to have a range of smaller versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment