Pages

Monday 25 June 2012

scarves and ruffles!

I made a prototype scarf at the start of the project, but it didn't turn out exactly how I wanted. Despite that I decided to have another go and dyed two lots of fabric a bright blue colour. The first bit of fabric I wanted to make into a large wrap style scarf. I started by adding some splashes of batik dye to it, to make it look a bit like a watery rock pool (this is what I tried for the prototype but it didn't really work)
I then frayed the edges to give a tassel look. This took a very long time so I think I would just sew on a tassel trimming next time. Then I hand sewed the hem into a rolled edge. Again this took a long time, but it gives a really neat professional finish.
The second lot of fabric I dyed was thinner, and I wanted to turn this into a few ruffly scarves that would evoke the ruffle on shells and ripples in the sea. To do this I cut the fabric into strips and hemmed it on the machine using a scallop stitch. Then using elastic in the bobbing and blue thread on top, I sewed various straight and wavy lines to create the ruffles. After I had finished the ruffles, I decided that the scarves would look better if they were joined at the ends to create a kind of light snood.

No comments:

Post a Comment