Pages

Friday 1 June 2012

Product ideas - shape trends

As well as having a shell/beachcombing theme, I also have to look at current themes to see what is in fashion. I looked at a website called WGSN using the college's subscription to find shape trends for bags, scarves and purses. For bag trends, I liked the small box style bags and a slouchy bag with long circular handles which would look good with an all over print.

 Whilst looking at scarf trends I found out about sweater scarves, these are meant to look like you have tied a jumper around your shoulders. Thinking about my theme, I am reminded of fishermen and their gansey jumpers. If I could find some second-hand aran jumpers I could easily manipulate the shape by sewing and picking up and re-knitting stitches.

Another new trend is apparently, the lariat. I think of this as more of a necklace, but it could be easy to incorporate elements of my theme. For example, the lariat itself could be made out of thick rope, the type used on boats, and the embellishments could be shells and pieces of driftwood. Here I have also researched fisherman's knots which I think would add a decorative element as well as keeping the embellishments in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment